THE INSTITUTE OF THE SISTERS OF OUR LADY OF GOOD COUNSEL OF MBARARA – UGANDA
Our Institute is the offspring of the Canadian Sisters of Our Lady of Good Counsel. It was founded in Chicoutimi, Canada on November, 4th 1894, by Bishop Michael Labrecque together with Mademoiselle Francoise Simard (1851 – 1937). Mother Boniconsilii became the first Superior General of the Institute.
In 1937, four Canadian Sisters arrived in Uganda. They accepted the first Ugandan girls to live among them in the same year. These girls were received into the Novitiate on February 2, 1943, and made their first vows in 1945. The offspring of the Canadian Institute in Uganda was erected as an independent diocesan Congregation on September, 26, 1957. It is now officially known as the “Institute of the Sisters of Our Lady of Good Counsel – Mbarara”.
Briefly, Francoise Simard (Mother Marie du Bon- Conseil), our Foundress lived 43 years of religious life. She was a woman possessed by God. She knew that God was her Lord and Master, She remained open to His promptings and accepted her condition as that of a “mere instrument” in the building up of God’s kingdom on earth. Mother Marie du Bon-Conseil (1851 – 1937) pronounced her “FIAT” (Total Yes) in the Words “GOD IS THE MASTER”.
AREAS WHERE WE WORK
We carry out our apostolates in collaboration with the Church authorities (Bishops) wherever there is need. We work in Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo and Chicago-USA.
Obedience out of love in total surrender to God’s will and service to the neighbour
Evangelization through intergral Formation and Education for the lowly of society.